Section of Pulmonary / Critical Care
Assistant Professor of Medicine
|PhD||2003||University of Miami||Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology
|Fellowship||2004||University of California||
|Fellowship||2005||John Hopkins University||
|Fellowship||2006||University of Chicago||
Alterations in vascular permeability are a defining feature of diverse processes including atherosclerosis, stroke, inflammatory disorders, acute lung injury, multiple sclerosis, cancer and diabetes mellitus. Dr. Singleton's research focuses on the translational potential of the extracellular matrix component, hyaluronan (HA). His published data indicate that HA binding to its cell surface receptor, CD44, in specialized caveolin-1-enriched structures called lipid rafts promotes vascular integrity. Dr. Singleton’s current research examines the role of HA and HA binding proteins in endothelial actin cytoskeletal regulation, microparticle release, acute lung injury and lung cancer metastasis. Understanding the mechanisms of HA regulation of vascular function will provide novel therapies for a variety of disease processes involving defects in EC barrier regulation.
- Lennon, F.E., Mirzapoiazova, T., Mambetsariev, B., Salgia, R., Moss, J., Singleton, P.A., “Overexpression of the µ-opioid receptor in human non-small cell lung cancer promotes Akt and mTOR activation, tumor growth, and metastasis”, Anesthesiology, 116(4):857-67, 2012.
- Singleton, P.A., Mirzapoiazova, T., Guo, Y., Sammani, S., Mambetsariev, N., Lennon, F.E., Moreno-Vinasco, L. and Garcia, J.G.N., “High molecular weight hyaluronan is a novel inhibitor of pulmonary vascular leakiness”, American Journal of Physiology: Lung Cell and Molecular Physiology, 299(5):L639-51, 2010
- Singleton, P.A., Chatchavalvanich, S., Birukova, A.A., Garcia, J.G.N. and Birukov, K.G., “Oxidized phospholipids enhance endothelial barrier function through Akt-mediated transactivation of the S1P1 receptor in caveolin-enriched microdomains”, Circulation Research, 104(8):978-86, 2009.
- Mambetsariev, N., Mirzapoiazova, T., Mambetsariev, B., Sammani, S., Lennon, F.E., Garcia, J.G.N. and Singleton, P.A., “Hyaluronic acid binding protein 2 is a novel regulator of vascular integrity” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology, 30(3):483-90, 2010.
- Singleton PA, Pendyala S, Gorshkova IA, Mambetsariev N, Moitra J, Garcia JG, Natarajan V., “Dynamin 2 and c-Abl are novel regulators of hyperoxia-mediated NADPH oxidase activation and ROS production in caveolin-enriched microdomains of the endothelium”, Journal of Biological Chemistry, 11;284:34964-75, 2009.