Section of General Internal Medicine
Associate Professor of Medicine
Associate Vice Chair for Diversity; Assistant Dean for Multicultural Affairs
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|BS||1989||University of Illinois||Psychology
|MD||1993||The University of Chicago||
|Residency||1996||The University of Chicago||Internal Medicine
Dr. Vela is actively involved in teaching of both medical students and medical housestaff. She serves as the Course Director of the Clinical Skills Teaching module for the Pritzker School of Medicine. Her other interests include issues of medical professionalism and the doctor-patient relationship.
General Internal Medicine, Preventive Health Care.
- Vela, M., Kim, K., Tang, H. Chin, M. 'Innovative Health Care Disparities Curriculum for Incoming Medical Students' Journal of General Internal Medicine, Medical Education 2008 Jul;23(7):1028-32.PMID: 18612738
- Overcoming Ethnic Health Disparities: Improving the Diagnosis and Management of Hypertension, Diabetes and their Complications. Association of Black Cardiologists Self Assessment Program. Edition 1. 2008 Program Faculty http://www.proevalinc.com/medical/health_disparities/ABCSAP1.pdf
- Vela, M., Kim K, Tang H., Chin M. Improving Under-Represented Minority Medical Student Recruitment with Health Disparities Curriculum’ Journal of General Internal Medicine, 2010 May;25 Suppl 2:S82-5.PMID: 20352498
- Press VG, Pincavage AT, Pappalardo AA, Baker DC, Conwell WC, Cohen JC, Hoyte FL, Johnson ME, Prochaska MV, Vela MB, Arora VM. The Chicago Breath Prject: A Regional Approach to Improving Education on Asthma Inhalers for Resident Physicians and Minority Patients. J Natl Med Assoc. 2010 Jul; 102(7): 548-55.
- Vela, M., Kim, K., Tang, H. Chin, M. Abstract Presentation: Innovative Health Care Disparities Curriculum for Incoming Medical Students. Association of American Medical Colleges Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C. Research in Medical Education (RIME) Conference 2007