Section of Emergency Medicine
Professor of Medicine
Medical Director and Program Director, University of Chicago Aeromedical Network (UCAN)
Referring Physician Access Line: 1-877-DOM-2730
|MD||1981||Chicago Medical School||
|Residency||1984||University of Illinois||Emergency Medicine
Dr. Blumen is an expert in the area of air medical transport and critical care transport with over 20 years of experience. He has authored numerous publications and has served as co-editor for the Air Medical Physician Handbook since 1993 and is the Editor-in-Chief for the Fourth Edition. He was also the lead researcher and author of "A Safety Review and Risk Assessment in Air Medical Transport."
Air medical transport, interfacility transport, EMTALA regulations, pediatric trauma, airway management, high altitude illness and dysbaric Injuries.
- Blumen IJ, Thomas F, and Williams D. Critical Care Transport. In Hall J and Schmidt GA (ed): Principles of Critical Care, Third Edition. McGraw-Hill. In press.
- Blumen, IJ, Strange GR, Prendergast HM. High Altitude Illness and Dysbaric Injuries. In Strange G, Ahrens W, McQuillen K et al (ed): Pediatric Emergency Medicine: Just the Facts. McGraw-Hill, 2004.
- Blumen IJ and Thomas F. Medical Direction. In Arndt, K (ed): Standards for Critical Care and Specialty Rotor-wing Transport. Air & Surface Transport Nurses Association, Denver, CO, 2003.
- Blumen IJ and Rodenberg H. Air Medical Transport. In Marx JA, et al (ed); Rosen's Emergency Medicine, Concepts and Clinical Practice, Fifth Edition. Mosby, 2002.
- Blumen, IJ, et al. "A Safety Review and Risk Assessment in Air Medical Transport." Air Medical Physicians’ Handbook, Air Medical Physician Association, Salt Lake City, 2002