Section of Hematology / Oncology
Professor of Medicine
Blum Riese Distinguished Service Professor of Medicine,Molecular Genetics & Cell Biology and Human Genetics
|BS||1946||The University of Chicago||Anatomy
|MD||1948||The University of Chicago||Medicine
|Residency||1951||Marine Hospital (USPHS)||
Dr. Rowley’s laboratory focuses on understanding genetic changes and their functional consequences in human acute myeloid leukemia. She originally used cytogenetic analysis to identify recurring chromosome abnormalities in leukemia and lymphoma. She is currently studying the pattern of gene expression as well as microRNA expression in AML, ALL, as well as Burkitt leukemia/lymphoma with recurring translocations. Her laboratory is assessing this pattern of expression to identify collaborating mutations, to develop more reliable diagnostic and prognostic markers and to identify suitable targets for new therapies.
- Zhang, Y., Rowley, J.D. Chromatin structural elements and chromosomal translocations in leukemia. DNA Repair, 5(9-10): 1282-97, 2006.
- Mi, S., Lu, J., Sun, M., Li, Z., Zhang, H., Neilly M.B., Wang, Y., Qian, Z., Jin, J., Zhang, Y., Bohlander, S.K., LeBeau, M.M., Larson, R.A., Golub, T.R., Rowley, J.D., and Chen, J. MicroRNA expression signatures accurately discriminate acute lymphoblastic leukemia from acute myeloid leukemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 104(50):19971-6, 2007.
- Li, Z., Lu, J., Sun, M., Mi, S., Zhang, H., Luo, RT., Chen, P., Wang, Y., Yan, M., Qian, Z., Neilly, M.B., Jin, J., Zhang, Y., Bohlander, S.K, Zhang, D.E., Larson, R.A., Le Beau, M.M., Thirman, M.J., Golub, T.R., Rowley, J.D., Chen, J. Distinct microRNA expression profiles in acute myeloid leukemia with common translocations. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 105(40):15535-40, 2008.
- Rowley, J.D. Chromosomal translocations: revisited yet again. Blood. 112(6): 2183-9, 2008.
- Chen J, Odenike O, and Rowley JD. Leukemogenesis: More Than Mutant Genes. Nature Reviews Cancer. In press.